Sunday, July 6, 2008

Where Are The Ducks?


When July gets hot and unbearably humid, I think back to the times I spent beside the ocean in Nova Scotia. I stayed with friends and each morning over a bowl of fresh picked raspberries, I would look out over the Atlantic, just a few hundred yards beyond the edge of the sloping lawn. The light was cool and pearly and the air was fresh and full of the tang of the ocean. Sometimes fog would roll in and blanket the area along the shore with mystery. I absolutely loved it.

Let me introduce you to the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, a native Nova Scotian who approaches duck hunting in a unique and creative manner, luring them to shore with his prancing and playing. In my new watercolor painting, this Toller is standing on the shore of a foggy inlet, wondering "Where Are the Ducks?"