Sunday, February 1, 2009

Reflections On A Winter Afternoon


On cold winter afternoons like today, most of our Shelties love to curl up somewhere cozy and
snooze. This little girl however, prefers to keep an eye on things. Her favourite spot on a late winter afternoon is on the back of a couch where she can catch the last rays of the setting sun. I was fascinated by the way the sun warms her coat and by the far away look in her eyes. What does she think about? I was also intrigued by how to solve the problem of painting her reflection in the window, so naturally, I just had to paint this.
I chose acrylic for this painting because of the possibilities of layering light over dark. "Reflections On A Winter Afteroon" was every bit as challenging as I thought it would be, and every bit as enjoyable to paint. I am delighted that this painting is now being enjoyed in a home where Shelties reign.