Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Midsummer Firefly

Things have been hectic these past couple of weeks and I felt the need to get away from reality for a bit. Nothing accomplishes that better than stepping into Fantasy. This 8 x 10 watercolour painting is called Midsummer FireFly. I used a different paper than my usual, and although it was still a Hot Press paper, I found the paint handled differently on it. Still, I was able to get the effects I wanted, but I will be returning to the paper I know and trust for my next painting.

Around here, the Fireflies usually appear on or near Midsummer's Eve, and I always think it is such a magical time. Midsummer Firefly reminds me of summer nights when I was a young girl. I remember the cool, damp grass under my feet, the scent of the summer garden around me, and the endless, mysterious night sky above my head. And dancing through the darkness like magic, would be the "Firefly Faeries". Wishes were made and dreams were dreamed. It is a lovely memory.