Monday, January 11, 2010

Mentors

This past weekend, I was thinking about a wonderful lady who was my mentor from the time I was a young girl. She taught me so much about dogs, and took me into the thrilling world of Dog Shows, and after much persuading, she convinced my parents to let me have a dog of my own. She taught me about life at the sea shore, and about the stars, and I loved every minute of my time with her.
This lady was an artist (oils), and she always encouraged me in my own dreams to be an artist. When I was a teen, she found an art teacher for me who could give me the help I needed with watercolours and in learning to draw accurately, but alas, this time, she was unable to convince my parents to let me have the lessons. But she continued to encourage me and to tell me that I could accomplish whatever I wanted.
When she passed on, her family (who are very dear to me) very generously gave me her brushes, and even though I don't do oils, the brushes sit beside my watercolour and acrylic brushes on my art cabinet. When I work on an acrylic painting, I always use one of her brushes for a few brushstrokes at some point, and because I take very good care of them, they accept the change and are staying in excellent condition.
Using these brushes makes me feel like she is here beside me, cheering me on as she did while she was alive, and sometimes I fancy I can almost hear her uniquely wonderful laugh.
A mentor - the right one, can make a huge difference in an artist's life, and I was so very lucky to have this lady come into and stay in my life. I have chosen to illustrate this blog with my 11 x 14 watercolour painting AN CAPAILL BAN (the White Horse) because my friend loved the ocean and believed that one can make their dreams come true.