Wednesday, March 23, 2011

REFLECTIONS

I know I've posted this image before, but an evening drive last night reminded me of this painting, so I thought I'd use it as my image of the day. Last evening, we had to drive into Ottawa to deliver cookies to an art meeting. We couldn't attend because we had to take our little dog with us. Left to his own devices, he would have pulled out his stitches by the time we got home - make that, before we got out of the driveway. But I had promised cookies and so had to deliver. Trust me, you wouldn't want to mess with a group of artists who have been deprived of their sugar high :-0
The trip in was a pleasant drive through late afternoon golden sunshine. But by the time we turned for home, the sun was setting and once we got out into the countryside again, the glory in the sky was being reflected in the pools, streamlettes, and puddles that dotted the emerging fields. Everything was gold and vermillion, and in places, the pine and fir trees turned a rich, living black against the molton sky. It was lovely, and reminded me of the year when there was a huge spring run-off, and the fields consisted of little islands of dark, wet earth peering above the "lakes" that had over-run them. It was then that I took the reference photos for the above painting - "WAITING TO GET ON THE LAND", an 11 x 14 acrylic. This painting didn't get seen very often, as right after I did it, life went into one of it's challenging stages, and I dropped out of my show circuit. But now, when I look at it, I get a great feeling. The challenges have been met, and I am reminded yet again, that we live in a beautiful world.

No comments: