Sunday, March 8, 2009

Larger Than Life


One of the highlights of the Ottawa Season is the FUR BALL, the charity Fundraiser for the Ottawa Humane Society. This year, I have been pleased to give them a donation for the Silent Auction that is part of that event.
"Larger Than Life" is a small acrylic painting, and my own Studio Cat, Sasha, posed for me. He was adopted from the Humane Society when he was just a tiny kitten. We had no choice really. As we were walking around looking at cage after cage of beautiful cats and kittens, he reached through the bars of his cage, took hold of my finger, drew it between the wires, and began to suck on it. It would have taken a harder heart than mine to walk away. Since then, he has been a total delight, and reigns over the dogs as the Sheltie Hollow Cat.
I named this painting LARGER THAN LIFE because it seems to me that this is how cats see themselves.
If you are thinking of adding a cat or kitten to your life, please remember that there are thousands of cats in shelters all across the country, waiting for a loving home.

Heather Anderson
www.heather-anderson-animals-in-art.com