Wednesday, November 18, 2009

DOG PARADE WEDNESDAY the RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK

Today's dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. This strong, courageous, big dog was once used to protect the families and stock of Colonial African farmers from lion attacks. They still have courage and a deep sense of loyalty, which makes them both good guards dogs and gentle family dogs. The Ridgebacks are beautiful dogs, with their wheaten through red colouring and the tapering ridge of stiff hair that grows in the opposite direction along their shoulders and back.
I wanted this simple, watercolour sketch to reflect the spacious glow of the African plains (as I've seen it portrayed in films), and I think I've accomplished this with the red-gold dog and trees, the golden grasses, and the apricot sky. A 5 x 7 inch matted print can be yours for $25. including shipping by contacting me at anderson.animalart@sympatico.ca